Sunday, May 24, 2009

I Give Up

Isaiah 40:29 - "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."

Those who recognize their weakness, acknowledge, and admit it to their Creator, show the release of any grip they thought they might have over their life, exulting the One who holds all strength. In doing so, strength is given. God gives because of our decree of dependence on Him. 
When we deny the lie that we have any sort of goodness on our own, we align ourselves with truth and our hearts are then able to be shaped. Yes, believers and non believers can both do good, but it's only because we are made in the likeness of the Creator. Only when we give our hearts back over to the One who created them, can they be molded more into what they were originally supposed to look like.

The more I see the truth of who I am without Christ, the more I recognize the impossible of what He has done in me. And this makes me want Him even more. When I'm honest with my fallenness, I tear down any wall hindering me from the working of Christ inside my heart. 
Even though it's already been given, grace cannot be received until we admit our need for it.

Can you recognize that as part of being human that you are not perfect and will never reach perfection? 
Can you be honest with yourself? Can you admit that you are in need every day of continual help and guidance? Can you give up control of your life?

His perfectly loving arms are wide open, waiting to embrace us and guide us along the absolute best path for our lives. He is longing to lead us in the way of true life.
When we call on Him, He's there. 
When we seek Him, He promises that we will find Him.

May all your expectations be frustrated. 
May all your plans be thwarted.
May all your desires be withered into nothingness,
That you may experience the powerlessness
And poverty of a child and sing and dance
In the love of God and the Father, 
The Son, and the Spirit.
 - from Henri Nouwen's spiritual director

No comments: