Friday, May 22, 2009

The Faithfulness Train

"I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly." - Psalm 40:10

A couple years ago, before I packed up my bags and moved to Indiana, I was living in Ohio, in a town called Bryan to be exact. Bryan is where Dum Dum Suckers and the Etch-A-Sketch is made. If you look at the state on a map, Bryan would be found in the very top left corner of Ohio. This is where I lived most of my life. (Except for one year when I lived in Florida.)

Anyways, once my twin bro and I turned 16 and got our licenses, we made daily trips to Archbold, a town about 15 minutes away, to visit all our friends.
Years later when I had bought my own car and was working in Archbold, going to church there, and still hanging with all my friends, I had a specific way I would drive home every night. 
Every night I'd get home anywhere from around 11 to 2 am. 
Well there was this train that I would see every single time I would come to a specific point in my drive. No matter what time I would be driving near the tracks, a train would be coming. I'd come around the turn and see lights from the train every single evening. I thought it was pretty crazy. 
Then one night on my way home while I was just talking to God I heard Him say, "That train is like my faithfulness, I am with you at all times." 
And for seriously about a year straight after that, every night, no matter what time I would be driving home, I would see a train every time I'd drive by the tracks. 
And that year was one of the most difficult and life changing times ever. Every night I'd drive home, sometimes completely worn down, depressed, hopeless, wondering what in the world I was doing, and would see  that train and God would speak to me saying that He was there, in my pain, longing to join with me in my struggle, with arms wide open ready to perfectly embrace His son. His grace captured me time and time again. I found hope and life and peace and joy in that train.

"But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." - Psalm 86:15

I tell you this story now because I am home visiting friends and family and was on my way home tonight going the same old way I used to and sure enough.. the train came and I knew God was there with me. 

His faithfulness is not based on reciprocity and I've never been the same because of it. Because of the never ending love and compassion He has for the hurting and broken sons and daughters, I have learned to recognize that the God of the universe wants to be with me in every moment of life and if I would just let Him embrace me, then I'd have strength that I didn't have before. 
His faithfulness has given me a new perspective on dealing with pain and struggle. I can have hope and joy despite the hell I might be going through. 
This is beyond amazing to me, to know that in all of life, in every beautiful moment and every total difficulty, my God is right there with me, no matter whether I'm faithful or not.
There's nothing better than that.

"O LORD God Almighty, who is like you? You are mighty, O LORD, and your faithfulness surrounds you." - Psalm 89:8

No comments: