Friday, February 13, 2009

Riley Robbins


Currently, I am with 50 others from GSM (granger student ministries) on our way to Memphis, Tennessee to the Student Life conference. Sitting next to me is the seriously one of a kind, Riley Scott Robbins. Let me tell you a little about this fascinatingly undeniable bundle of random goodness. He's one of the only people I know who can keep up with my randomness. We have randomness wars often. He is part of the GSM band as our drummer. He's only 16 but let me tell you that you won't find a better drummer, for real.
The kid wears his heart on his sleeve. He is very passionate, extreme, energetic, at the same time can slow down and say things that make you really think. His heart beats fast for Jesus Christ and he won't deny it. I've been getting to know him for about a year or more now and he continues to amaze me as I watch him grow. I love the kid. He inspires me.
At the moment he is looking out the window and wearing a blue shirt, and yelling "i'm being washed away! i'm being washed away!" which makes no sense at all, its great.
11 random facts about Riley:
He almost died when he was 2.
He ran away from home in the 5th grade with a snare drum, a loaf of bread, and his Bible.
He used to be scared at night and would sleep on his parents floor till he was 11.
He wanted to be a spy for about a year of his life.
At the age of 5, his dream was to work at Discount Tire.
He wants to be a pastor.
He hit his old dog on the head with a metal baseball bat on accident.
He has climbed to the top of Mt. Rundle in Alberta, Canada.
He has played hockey since he was 4.
He once punched his older brother in the face for making fun of his girlfriend.
He spent his birthday this year with me in Michigan making music and drinking hot chocolate.

I'm excited to watch him grow up.

Lastly, in pure riley fashion, he would like you all to know - "Je t'aime. Quand j'etais jeune, j'aime bien grimper aux arbres. Je n'aime pas le class de maths." which means - "I love you. When I was little I loved to climb trees. I dont like math class."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a keeeper :)

i'm praying for all you guys and hoping you're having a good time in memphis :)

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

1. I can only imagine the bus ride sitting near you two.

2. A favorite Riley Memory: A couple weeks ago I was heading to the prayer closer early. I peaked in and there was Riley with his Bible open and head bowed in prayer. I smiled.

3. Riley take back what you said about math class. I was a math teacher you konw!