Thursday, September 17, 2009

From The Heart Of A Friend

I didn't realize that this didn't work the first time I tried posting it... so here it is again!

I found this to be inspiring, as I hope you will as well.

These words are from the heart of one of my friends,
Lori Harmer.

Lord, take her deeper and deeper into You.


"I often sit frustrated and angry with the direction my life is headed. The big decisions, the choices, consequences, and sometimes even the questions that seem to resound unanswered within a broken heart. I don’t understand why I’m here, how I feel so alone, or where this pain is taking me? I’ve walked this road before; I’ve carried the burdens that seem to haunt my footsteps. I don’t want to go there again Lord, it always leaves me broken in the end crawling blinded through the crushing darkness that cradles my shattered hopes and dreams. WHY?! I scream as the breath rips its way out of my lungs. I don’t understand; what have I done wrong? The need within me growing, eating away at my pride, my resolve to remain strong. God…my dry and bare lips part to breathe, help me please….the words falling into my abyss of pain as I collapse to the floor devoid of the energy necessary to try again.

It would seem as though my story is over, the scene has come to an end, however though the actress in me is finished, He is not. The master playwright has in fact written more.

All of a sudden around me a light begins to shine, slowly it grows brighter as it wages war against the darkness. It’s incredibly bright now, the warmth and radiance of its glow has pierced the darkest corners of my pain and grief stricken heart. I open my eyes to see this wonder, but it’s too bright, I desperately feel around me as I stumble around the floor seeking something tangible and sturdy that I can hold onto. It’s then I feel the light surround me and draw me to my feet, I’ve been enveloped in a holy embrace. The light is healing me, it’s taking away the pain, its shining beams are scattering and diligently gathering the pieces of a broken heart I thought I had lost. The light that once surrounded me immediately begins to transform into hands that set about molding for me a complete and whole heart.

It is then that a voice breaks through my silent reverie, its words whispering all around me a humbling, healing balm. My precious daughter, I long to heal you, to help you and to love you, I want to make you whole with a new and beautiful heart that beats for me, but first there must be pain. The pain has broken you, it has grieved you and left you completely open and willing to rely on me, to truly rest in me. In your brokenness you gave me the shattered pieces of your heart that I might become the glue that holds the pieces together. I break you so that I might mend you; wound you so that I might heal you. I am renewing you. Your pain is giving way to growth and change, a change in your heart that better reflects the beauty that I have created in you. Take comfort my child; I am not finished with you, though outwardly through pain you waste away, inwardly I am renewing you day by day.

And then almost as quickly as they came his light, his presence, his hands, and his voice are gone and instead in their absence I am left with an insurmountable sense of peace that washes over my entire being and more importantly over my brand new heart beating contentedly within my chest.
What was once frustration is now satisfaction, where anger once resided calm has taken its place, all revealing to me the renewal that was done.



“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
-2 Corinthians 4:16-18

I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on, there will be an end to these troubles but until that day comes still I will praise you Lord!"

2 comments:

Susan and Randy said...

How beautifully worded! For those of us who do not have such elequoence of words, thank you for sharing that Seth.
How true, and the older I get, the more I realize that doesn't just happen once and you're done.... It's a life process. Each time, you feel the pain just as bad as the last time, but the reviving of the Spirit of God becomes sweeter and sweeter and you Long for it more. Thank your friend!

Anonymous said...

I needed to read this today. Thank you for sharing.