Saturday, March 28, 2009

In My Weakness..

Weaknesses.
We all have them.
But most of us emphasize, exaggerate, and sometimes even try to sell ourselves with our strengths while hiding, denying, or trying to compensate for our weaknesses.
If we're honest with ourselves, we're probably pretty fearful of our weaknesses being exposed.
But what if...
What if they weren't just something we tried to hide because we thought that they would expose something about us that would make people not accept us for who we "really" are.
What if they were something we were actually supposed to embrace?
What if we have weaknesses for a reason?

"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2nd corinthians 12:9-10

Sometimes I can think "how could God use me, I'm so messed up."
But are my weaknesses above His power to use me? I think not. 
I must remember that He uses even my weakness for His glory.
So our weaknesses then can be embraced, they must be embraced, for they actually become opportunities for God to demonstrate His power and goodness through us.
In the letting go of our pride and admitting our weakness, our dependence makes room for God to come in and be what we couldn't be on our own.

In order to fully embrace God's grace for us, and Jesus' death on the cross, we must fully embrace our fallenness, our weakness, our need for a savior.
Like I wrote about in my "Liberating Love" post, our time on this earth is spent in a sanctification process. If we were perfect now, or could attain perfection in this lifetime, we wouldn't need the death of our Lord and King. We wouldn't need a savior.
And so we take away from the work of Christ if we don't let Him be what we can't be. He came to be everything we couldn't be and do everything we couldn't do.
We are all broken pieces waiting to be put back together by the only One who knows what we were meant to look like.
And so we must acknowledge our weakness with the next step of admitting our dependence, showing our trust in Him as our Redeemer.


Embracing weakness is also seriously instrumental for our growth.
When we pray and ask for change in our hearts and to be rid of a weakness like say selfishness for example, God doesn't just snap His fingers and make us selfless. He gives us a circumstance with the opportunity to choose to be selfless. And so you then ask "Well if I wasn't selfless before, how am I supposed to be selfless now if all I've been given is just another opportunity for me to be what I know will be selfish?" To which I would say "On your own, yes this is true"
The answer I think is this: first of all we must pray for our eyes to be open to the gift of a second chance. In that moment then, when we are aware of our choice to choose others or ourselves, we must pray and trust Him to be what we can't be. We must acknowledge our need of a strength not our own. What then was once just His selflessness we realize, has actually become ours too and we've just then taken on more of likeness of Christ. We've let the Redeemer give us the strength to be something we couldn't be before without Him. How beautiful, the fact that He alone gives us the strength to live the life He calls us to live!
"The promises of God give what His commands demand" - Martin Luther
And so we can only boast in Him.
"It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." - 1st Corinthians 1:30

So what is it in your life that you are holding onto, and by doing so, with-holding from yourself the grace that is offered to cover that weakness?
I think it's time to give it up and let Him be in you what you can't be. Let Him be the Redeemer.
Let Him in
Let Him in
Let Him in

Father, grant me grace in my weakness to do Your will but also strength to accept Your sufficient grace in my weaknesses...

4 comments:

Megan Elizabeth Wotring said...

I've been waiting for this one. Very well said, my friend, I think this is something that a lot of people need to hear. You're doing awesome things for His Kingdom!

Heather Stevens said...

Ok. So Ive officially decided..you need to be a preacher. yeppp..there's room for another one at GCC! :) :)
DC is coming in to speak at FCA in may sometime..cant remember when..YOU should DEF come with!!
YOUR AWESOME SETH BIBLE! :)
ttyl *Heatherrr*

Unknown said...

this is GREAT Seth! I needed to hear what you had to say...God has been trying to tell me this and I just haven't listened. There are so many times that I continue to be so selfish and mess up; I just want to give up sometimes b/c "I can't do it"...which is exactly it "I" can't do it...only God's Grace can cover me and help me overcome my weaknesses! Isaiah 43 has really encouraged me lately! And I also have to remember that God HAS ALREADY given me the desire and the power to do what pleases Him!

Thanks Seth! I'm encouraged. Miss ya

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I'm slowly catching up with your blogging. In the process I've decided this is my new favorite post.

As a recovering perfectionist this has been one of my deepest struggles in my walk. God works in such interesting ways. I wish I could share with you the stories of how God has used my weakness over the last few months.

The more I embrace my weaknesses the more God is able to use them for his glory.