Monday, April 6, 2009

Sue Monk Kidd's Prayer

Tonight I pray this prayer of Sue Monk Kidd's as my own.

"God, I don't want to live falsely, in self-imposed prisons and fixed, comfortable patterns that confine my soul and diminish the truth in me. So much of me has gone underground. I want to let my soul out. I want to be free to risk what's true, to be myself. Set free the daring in me-the willingness to go within, to see the self-lies. I'll try to run away, but don't let me. Don't let me stifle myself with prudence that binds the creative revisioning of life and the journey toward wholeness.
I'm scared, God. Make me brave. Lead me into the enormous spaces of becoming. Help me cease the small, tedious work of maintaining and protecting so that I can break the masks that obscure Your face shining in the night of my own soul. Help me to green my soul and risk becoming the person You created me to be.
Tomorrow I may regret these words, but tonight I speak them, for I know that You're somewhere inside them, that You love me and won't leave me alone in their echo."

4 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I have a book by Sue Monk Kidd that was given to me as a gift and I've never read it. It's called The Dance of the Dissinent Daughter. Perhaps I should get on that.

Kristin Baker said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm doing a study right now called "living fearlessly" and this is exactly the prayer I needed! I probably hide it well (acting training and all) but fear has been the "thorn in my side" all my life. Thanks for this, and for being awesome in so many ways. Especially for allowing God to use you to bless others with not only your art, but your life.

Unknown said...

hi,
please tell me the source of this sue monk kidd quote.
many thanks,
s raffield

Seth Bible said...

s raffield,
the prayer is from her book called "When the Heart Waits." I'm nearing the end of it and have really enjoyed it! Very thought provoking. It has sent me into contemplation mode often.