Friday, October 10, 2008

thoughts and a story

So a few weeks ago I asked God, as one of my regular prayers, to have His way with me. And can I just say..I think He's doin it.
You know how when you ask and pray for something, for example we'll say courage, and most of the time He doesn't just give it to you right then and there, but He gives you a circumstance with the opportunity to be the courage you had asked for.
And you ask "how, if I didn't have the courage in the first place, would I have it now?" The answer, as I've realized over the past few years, is that He then requires us to trust in Him to be that courage we need in that very circumstance. And then, because we trusted Him to be what we could'nt be, and in doing so, admitting our dependence, acknowledging our need for a strength not our own, what then was His courage we realize has actually become ours. And we've then taken on more of Him. What a beautiful thing.

I know right now, God is trying to teach me and let me become more like Him.
I love when I just take the time to step back and look with different eyes and I see Him alllll over the place, in everything. It excites me, it makes me feel warm inside, it makes me realize again that I'm being endlessly pursued. No matter what, He wants all of me, all the time, He doesn't give up. I'm smiling right now as I think of this goodness. If I would just keep open my eyes to see that He's always giving me Himself, I'd always have infinite reasons to continuously worship Him.
Even though His death for my life is enough to worship Him forever, I'm human, and I need things to wake me up sometimes. Sometimes I need new things, I need other things, and If I could just get better at looking through this other lense, I think it just might keep me a little more focused.
Lord, increase my awareness of You in all things, keep Yourself in front of my eyes and don't let me look away.

One quick story:
So Tuesday evening I was traveling on the 20 bypass on my way home from Elkhart from mowing, when my truck decided to quit running. Well, it was because I had forgotten to stop at a gas station before i got on the bypass and so I ran out of gas. Yeah...so there I was going 65 down the road when my gas pedal started freakin out and I suspected something to be a miss and said "uh oh" and slowly but surely, with great precision, came to a halt on the side of the road where I just sat for 5 minutes and prayed for God to put gas in the tank. It started back up and I drove for another 2 miles when the truck died again going 60 and I coasted to the side of the road with my blinkers flashing so well like they do. "You playin tricks on me?" I kidded in my head with God. So I sat for a few more minutes and decided to walk. I didn't quite know my exact whereabouts but I just figured I'd walk till something happened. While walking I prayed that God would inspire someone to call my cell phone so that I could ask whoever called me to come pick me up. (Oh I forgot to tell you, I can only recieve calls with my cell phone right now, I can't call out.)
I walked and walked till I could hold up my thumb and blot out the truck from my vision. Then, with my head down, just thinking and praying, my peripherals spotted a motorcycle pulling off to the side of the road. At first I didn't know it was for my benefit, then I soon realized the goodness and smiled.
I walked up to the guy, pushed him of his bike and drove off. Ok, so for real, he asked me if I needed a ride and I just said I needed to borrow his cell phone if he had one. He got off his bike, took off his helmet and looked at me and said "hey do you sing?" and I said "yeah" and he said "do you sing at GCC?" and I said "yeah" and he said "I'm Adam Tarwacki's brother in law!" and I said "no way" and eveything from then on was beautiful. What better way to be rescued then by a relative of Adam's.
So then another friend, whom I owe my life to, came and helped me out and I finally made it home. To be honest, it was all kind of fun. I had nothing planned for the evening and I'm glad.

1 comment:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I can't wait to talk to you in a year or so and hear your perspective of this part of your journey. Hang on tight. God is up to something.