Monday, August 3, 2009

Are You Listening?

One night, a few years ago, as I was laying in bed about to fall asleep because I was completely exhausted from the day, I heard God say "Read My Word."
I then realized that I had not read the Bible in maybe close to a week.
But I was too tired to open my eyes and get up and pick up the Book and read it.
Then I heard Him again say "Read My Word."
To which I said "God, I'm too tired."
To which He said "Read My Word."
To which I said "Lord, seriously I'm just to tired right now."
To which He said "Read My Word."
To which I slowly finally got out of bed and picked up my Bible with my eyes barely open.
I then preceded to let it fall open on it's own wherever it may.
I positioned my eyes on the first verse I saw..
"Then he returned to His disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" He asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." - Matthew 26:40-41

I then knew that I should probably stay awake and read for awhile.

"Then the LORD called Samuel. Samuel answered, "Here I am." And he ran to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." But Eli said, "I did not call; go back and lie down." So he went and lay down. Again the LORD called, "Samuel!" And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." "My son," Eli said, "I did not call; go back and lie down." Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD : The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him. The LORD called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, "Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.' " So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening." - 1st Samuel 3:4-10


God may be trying to get your attention.
Are you listening?


Speak Lord, for Your servant is listening.

2 comments:

Brad Stewart said...

Hey Seth, it's Kim.....I was just reading today in "The Way of the Hear" about "listening". It's a good reminder that prayer is not a monologue, it's a dialogue. And that God's answers are continual. Thanks again for your willingness to listen.

Anonymous said...

I love you